An impressive voter packet mobilizing opposition to Barack Obama recently arrived in the mailbox of Christian Conservatives nationwide.
Sent out by Faith & Freedom Coalition – the new face of the old Christian Coalition – it pitted “Obama vs The Constitution” in a bid “to restore constitutional government to America.”
The eight-page letter said nothing about national repentance to God or a return to the law of God, but had much to say about a return to the U. S. Constitution. For example, the goal of the “November 6th Project” is to prove “that restoring Constitutional government is both a winning political strategy and America’s only real hope for survival as ‘the land of the free.'”
Notice that “our only real hope for survival” is “restoring Constitutional government“, but nothing is said about restoring America’s broken covenant with God and His law. The solution to our dilemma is framed in exclusively political rather than spiritual terms. The goal is presented in terms of American freedom, not God’s glory and offended justice.
The letter portrays Christian conservatives as innocent victims, not as co-belligerents with liberals against the authority of the law of God. When Daniel prayed for restoration of the nation he started with an acknowledgment that “we have sinned…even turning aside from Thy commandments and ordinances…therefore the Lord has kept the calamity in store….” (Dan. 9:5,14). He didn’t distinguish between the “good guys” and the “bad guys” in the nation because there really were no “good guys.”
The letter said nothing about Christian conservative neglect of God’s ordinances (Ex. 21-23), but had a lot to say about President Obama’s offenses against the Constitution and the American people. “Barack Obama’s hostility toward America’s Constitution is just as intense as his hostility to Christianity. And he’s open about it. He has called our Constitution ‘deeply flawed.’ So Obama has made it clear that he REJECTS the Constitution and really doesn’t care what the law is.”
According to Faith & Freedom the choice before the voters in 2012 should be this:
“Do you stand with George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, America’s Founding Fathers, and the U.S. Constitution?
Or do you stand with Obama, who does not believe in liberty, and who has no respect for our constitution?”
Myth: A return to the United States Constitution is equivalent to a return to the law of God
To assist our investigation of this myth, History MythBusters turned to a new book by Pastor Ted Weiland, entitled, “Bible Law vs. the United States Constitution.” Many theologians have pointed out various Biblical inconsistencies in the U. S. Constitution. But to our knowledge, this book is the first attempt to analyze the Constitution paragraph-by- paragraph according to the Bible. Our research found the U. S. Constitution to be Biblically deficient on almost every point of law. Here are a few examples.
- The Constitution derives its governing authority from “we the people,” whereas the Bible says all governing authority is derived from God (Rmn 12:1).
- The Constitution requires that runaway slaves be returned to their masters, whereas the Bible forbids returning runaway slaves to their masters (Dt. 23:15).
- The Constitution allows for unlimited offensive war, whereas the Bible prohibits offensive warfare (Dt. 17:16; II Chr. 35:21-24).
- The Constitution outlaws Biblical character requirements for public office” (Art. VI), whereas the Bible requires such qualifications (Dt. 1:13, Ex 18:21)
- The Constitution allowed slave trading for 20 years, whereas the Bible requires the death penalty for kidnapping.
- The Constitution states all manmade laws and treaties are the “supreme law of the land (Art. VI),” whereas the Bible insists its law is supreme. (I Tim. 1:8-11)
- The Constitution protects public worship of false gods (1st Am), whereas the Bible forbids the public worship of false gods (Ex. 20:3)
- The Constitution requires a census every ten years, whereas the Bible forbids the census (II Kgs 20:12,13; 24:1-4)
- The Constitution has no limit on taxation above the 10% which the Bible calls slavery (I Samuel 8)
Case Closed: Remarkably almost every paragraph of the United States Constitution was found to be in violation of the law of God. MythBusters counted at least 75 violations of the Bible in the U.S. Constitution. Thus, those who claim that the Constitution is a Christian document are either ignorant of the Constitution , ignorant of the Bible, or both.
It was ratification of the U. S. Constitution in 1788 that provoked the wrath of God against America. That wrath long restrained in mercy is now being unleashed. To call for a return to the very document that caused the offense is the height of folly and can only aggravate the wound.
And so the assumption that a return to the “original intent” of the United States Constitution is equivalent to returning to the law of God is a myth. MythBusters Rating: Red Flag to Faith & Freedom Coalition for perpetuating this dangerous myth. Christians should analyze the writings and pronouncements of this group with great caution.